Janet is an experienced Seattle immigration attorney who has practiced exclusively as a lawyer in the area of immigration and nationality law since 1981. She serves as Chair of the Seattle Immigration Group and represents businesses and individual clients on all aspects of immigration matters.
Janet has extensive experience in processing E-1 treaty trader, E-2 treaty investor, H-1B professionals, H-2B temporary workers, J-1 exchange visitors, K-1 fiancé, K-3 visas based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, O-1 and L-1A and L-1B intra-company transferee nonimmigrant visas. She processes immigrant visas involving marriage and adoption petitions, citizenship and naturalization, petitions, labor certifications under the PERM regulations, employment based petitions, EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, outstanding researchers and faculty members, professors and persons of extraordinary ability. Janet is able to file relative cases under the new DOMA decision for LGBT couples. She also has the experience to assist individuals who are seeking information for DACA (“Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals”). However, she does not handle cases involving deportation and removal, asylum, refugees, or immigration related criminal issues.
Janet represents clients in a broad range of industries including fisheries, maritime, freight forwarding, computer technology, software development, banking, real estate, import-export, and forestry. She also advises corporate clients on employer sanctions, I-9 and E-verify issues. Her practice requires her to deal on a regular basis with USCIS, Department of Labor, Department of State and consulates around the world. Janet was selected to be Special Assistant for the State of Washington's immigration matters.
Honors and Awards
- Rated 10/10 on Avvo.com
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent 5.0 out of 5
- Seattle Met Magazine, Top Women Attorneys in Washington (2013)
- Seattle Business Magazine, Seattle's Best Lawyers (2010, 2012)
- Listed in Who's Who of Business Lawyers® (2009)
- Chambers USA, ranked in top tier for Immigration Lawyers (2008-present)
- Listed in International Who's Who-Corporate Immigration Lawyers® (2008-present)
- Washington Law & Politics, Top 50 Women Lawyers in Washington State (2008, 2010)
- Named to Washington Super Lawyers® list (2003-present)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (2003-present)
- Two Thousand Notable American Women (2003, 2004)
Professional and Community Activities
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), frequent speaker and committee member
- Chair, Seattle USCIS Liaison Committee
- Certified by Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Immigration and Nationality Law, (1986-present)
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, NAFTA & TN Issues, American Immigration Lawyers Association Conference (2009)
- Speaker, Immigration Institute, Washington State Bar Association (2009)
- Editor-in-Chief, Immigration Practice & Procedure Under the North American Free Trade Agreement, American Immigration Lawyers Association (2006)
- Speaker, “Reality of Business Immigration,” PERM processing, AILA Midyear Conference (2006)
- Writer, Edition of "Reality of Business Immigration", AILA Publication (2006)
- Speaker, "Employer Compliance for Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification)", Lorman Education Services (2005)
Having practiced immigration law for over 30 years, Janet finds immigration law to be one of the most challenging and rewarding areas of law. Her goal is to seek out the best solution to clients' requests in the most timely and efficient manner. She strives to ensure clients obtain the immigration benefits to which they are entitled.
Outside of work, Janet enjoys being in La Conner, Washington and boating with her husband on their 34 foot trawler “Slopoke.” She also enjoys aerobics, being with her dog Bentley, and traveling to visit her son in Arizona and daughter in North Carolina.